Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 42

Thread: Dara Thai

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Dara Thai

    I'm a connoisseur of good Thai cuisine. The only downside to that is having to drive to Asheville to get good Thai food (short of making it myself or having my Thai friend make it). When I heard that Wise was getting a Thai restaurant, I was skeptical. Authentic Thai is hard to get. So I went into Dara Thai with more than a little trepidation.

    Tonight I gave the place a thorough test and it passed with flying colors.

    I gauge a Thai restaurant based on four dishes. Gai tom kha, pad thai, gang gai (chicken red curry), and laab (or larb).

    The gai tom kha (chicken galangal on DT's menu) is a smooth coconut based soup with hints of galangal (similar to ginger), cilantro and fish sauce. Dara Thai's came with a good assortment of chicken, straw mushrooms, baby corn, and cilantro. While not the best I've had, it was quite good. Add a little rice and you've got a good meal.

    The pad thai (rice noodle with bean sprouts, peanuts, tofu, and egg) wasn't bad. A little on the sweet side, but still better than anything you'll get this side of Asheville.

    The laab (ground meat with lime juice, fish sauce, cilantro and red onion) was superb. My favorite Thai dish and they served it to perfection. If you try nothing else, try this dish.

    The gang gai (chicken curry) was some of the best I've ever had. Sweet with a spicy finish. If it is too spicy for you, eat it with the included rice to deaden the heat a bit. While I like my a little hotter than served, I'm sure they could have spiced it up to order.

    To finish off the meal, I had the mango with sticky rice. For just $4 I go the most succulent and sweet mango I've ever eaten. The sticky rice was simple and delicious. Perhaps the finest dessert this county has ever seen. Sadly it is a seasonal dessert due to the limited availability of good mango.

    I left with a new favorite local restaurant. While they are not as authentic as my hideaway in Asheville, they are much closer than anything within 75 miles of Wise Co.

    If you visit, let me give you one tip. Don't limit yourself to just one dish per person. Order 2-3 dishes and serve it up family style. In my opinion, it is the best way to experience Thai cuisine.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member MikeJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dara Thai

    They must have came a long way in a few weeks. I'll stay away till I hear more positive remarks about the place.
    GO VOLS

  3. #3
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dara Thai

    Don't stay away, give them business. Their food is excellent the service was second to none. The restaurant is operated by some very nice people who, while never having met us, treated my wife and I like we had known them forever.
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  4. #4
    Inactive Member knight_67's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 11th, 2002
    Posts
    2,831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dara Thai

    ran into the guys at wal mart stockin up, and i mean stockin up!
    "i asked a toothless man, who all these people were and, he said the soapmakers...and we are workin workin"



  5. #5
    Inactive Member NotSoSilentBob's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2002
    Posts
    8,067
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dara Thai

    What were they buying?
    [IMG]http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l53/blpjr77/culpeper1.jpg[/IMG]

  6. #6
    Inactive Member knight_67's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 11th, 2002
    Posts
    2,831
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dara Thai

    seen a lot of produce
    meats, noticed mainly sirloin tips i do believe
    fresh fruits as well
    "i asked a toothless man, who all these people were and, he said the soapmakers...and we are workin workin"



  7. #7
    Inactive Member MikeJones's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 8th, 2007
    Posts
    3,888
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dara Thai

    <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotSoSilentBob</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't stay away, give them business. Their food is excellent the service was second to none. The restaurant is operated by some very nice people who, while never having met us, treated my wife and I like we had known them forever. </div></div>

    Man I hope its true. I like thai food. Was very excited about the place. Hopefully when I ate there it was new place gremlins or something. Like I said reading your review they have came a long way.
    GO VOLS

  8. #8
    Inactive Member golfgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 24th, 2006
    Posts
    33
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dara Thai

    I gave this place a second try today and it was great. The service was fast and the food was excellent. My only complaint was that the server needed to be more fluent in English.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member sup-rbeast's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 27th, 2006
    Posts
    8,846
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dara Thai

    Well...you are going into a Thai restaurant. Maybe patrons there need to be more fluent in Thai...or whatever they speak.
    ...And if you ain't down with that, I got 2 words for ya....

  10. #10
    Inactive Member imported_elp6n's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 31st, 2004
    Posts
    5,510
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Dara Thai

    I respect folks that can go into a new culture, learn the language (even if it's broken english) and work there. The English language is a difficult one to learn.

    There are a lot of Americans that haven't even mastered the language!
    You'll shoot your eye out.

    [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •